In this article, we’ll walk through each aspect of the Instagram video format and explain the best practices for using the application. This way, you’ll be able to avoid the common mistakes in video size on Instagram and use Instagram to the maximum potential.
Table of Content
- 1 What to consider when making an Instagram video?
- 2 Instagram Video Size Requirements and Why it is important
- 3 What is the Instagram video format supported on Instagram?
- 4 Top 5 Free Instagram Video Editor Apps for iPhone/Android
- 5 How to increase the quality of your videos on Instagram
- 6 The final thoughts
What to consider when making an Instagram video?
Your site already has fantastic and likable content; however, to make your videos or stories and Reels shine, you need to be aware of the components that make up videos for Instagram.
- Dimension and size. The optimal size and dimension to upload an Instagram video are determined by the purpose for which it is intended. If you post videos to the standard Instagram feed, try to achieve a resolution of 1080 pixels x 1350 pixels. Instagram Stories, IGTV, Instagram Live, and Instagram Reels all work best when they are 1080×1920 px, which is the full-screen size of today’s smartphones. Carousel videos on Instagram, such as those used in advertisements, should be converted to 1080 x 1920 pixels. When shown in the regular feed, they will look better when they are 1080x1350p.
- Format. The ideal Instagram video format is .mp4, which includes H. codec 264 and AAC sound. Many smartphones are now optimized to support this Instagram video format. MOV files can also be used in the Instagram format. Be aware that if you are planning to share GIFs on Instagram, you must first upload the GIF on Instagram must convert it into video format.
- Aspect ratio. The ideal aspect ratio of an Instagram video depends on the purpose for which it is intended. Videos on the normal Instagram feed look best when they have an aspect ratio of 9:16; 4:5 is also a good option. On the other hand, videos that appear on Instagram’s all-format work best when presented in the aspect ratio of 9:16.
- Resolution. Instagram allows the upload of HD videos; It is also possible to create high-quality video Instagram posts that shoot at 1080p. However, be aware that Instagram sets limits on the size of the longest videos shown via IGTV. Videos less than 10 minutes can not exceed 650 MB in size, and videos exceeding one hour (the longest Instagram permits) can not exceed 3.6 1 GB.
Instagram Video Size Requirements and Why it is important
As with all platforms on social media, Instagram videos have basic prerequisites. This ensures that the videos uploaded to the platform look professional and of the highest quality possible. Instagram’s requirements for video size include more than simply dimensions. They address aspect ratios (more on this later) and the maximum file sizes (more on this in the future).
Although it might seem like a lot of work to be aware of all these things, It’s worth the time and effort to follow these rules. This will help improve the quality of your content and be relevant to Instagrammers. As with other social media users on the other social media platforms, Instagrammers can be discerning. When the content you post on Instagram videos doesn’t appear attractive or appear unacceptable, you’ll be unable to attract attention in just a few minutes.
What are the best practices to make videos that look amazing and also meet Instagram’s video dimensions? Let’s look at the aspect ratio first.
Instagram Reels length
Length: Up to sixty seconds, though shorter videos are more popular. Learn more about this below.
- Aspect ratio Horizontal 9:16
- Resolution: 1080 x 1920p.
Reels are Instagram’s equivalent of TikTok videos. With Reels users, both companies and individuals alike can make short, fun videos of up to 60 seconds. In these videos, they can show the creativity of their creators and bring their personalities and their brands to life.
Regarding Reels length, Instagram isn’t offering an exact number, but they say shorter is more effective and recently provided this suggestion.
“Keep it Short. Our audience enjoys short, fun video clips – making reels is the most effective method to achieve this. .”
So, how many seconds do the words “keep it short” translate to? A common guideline in the case of TikTok videos is 7-15 minutes; however, we recommend exploring different lengths of videos to determine how your specific audience responds. The ideal length could be as short as six seconds or 20 seconds. The only way to find out is to experiment with different lengths of videos and find out what gets the highest engagement.
2. Instagram Feed video Size
The Instagram feed allows videos of varying dimensions and sizes. For example, you can upload videos with a resolution of 1080 608 pixels (landscape) to 1080 1350 pixels (portrait).
Keep in mind the user experience. The best size for uploading your Instagram image to the feed is 1080 and 1350 pixels.
This is because Instagram’s Instagram app doesn’t rotate on smartphones. So whenever you add a photo to your feed with resolutions of 1920 x 1080 pixels or landscape sizes, it appears like this:
This isn’t very interesting for your viewers. So instead, make feed videos that are 1080×1350 pixels, such as this one from Tastemade:
It’s immersive and allows users to fully experience the images.
It is also possible to post Instagram videos in a square format with 1080 x 1080 px
three important things to remember when making your Instagram feed or video
- It must be at least 3 seconds and one minute in length.
- The size of the video file can not exceed 4GB.
- It must be thirty frames per second. The camera in your phone usually produces 30 frames per second, but when you shoot and edit with the DSLR, make sure you have these settings set or edit the video to be replayed with thirty frames per second.
3. Instagram Carousel Post Dimensions
Instagram Carousel lets you upload multiple videos in a sequential sequence on the feed. They’re an excellent way to show your followers the process you follow and tell an engaging story, show a before and after picture, or even post customer reviews alongside your most popular product.
Like Instagram feed videos, Instagram Carousel posts can be square (1080 1080 pixels) or landscape (1080 608p), or portrait (1080 1350p). But, it’s crucial to keep in mind that after you’ve chosen your first video to be displayed in a carousel, video content will automatically be cropped to the same size and ratio.
Instagram video ad length
Rules for Instagram video ads are different from the rules for regular videos. Video ads in feeds are usually between 3-120 seconds, as in this:
Instagram Story advertisements are slightly different. In general, users can upload up to four Story cards (to an overall duration of 60 minutes). Using Story advertisements can be increased by ten cards (to 150 seconds).
But only the first three cards will be shown in the regular Instagram Story feed. After that, viewers can choose to view more stories by tapping the tap.
Instagram Stories size
Instagram Stories have been on the market since October of 2010. It’s safe to say that they are the most popular option for Instagram users. They provide quick, entertaining, and engaging moments in short videos. The size of Stories are 1080px wide and 1920px tall dimensions. The ideal Instagram story aspect ratio for Stories is 9:16. Similar to Instagram Videos on Feed, Story is 15-second to one-minute long videos.
Instagram Live length
Time: Up to 60 minutes
Aspect ratio Vertical 9,16:Instagram Live is an uncut video streamed life, which means viewers can view things unfold as they occur in real-time.
If you want to go live on Instagram, it is limited to 60 minutes of live streaming. When you’ve reached the limit of 60 minutes, you are able to go live for an additional hour and so on.
Live stream on Instagram
Aren’t you sure if live streaming using Instagram is the right option for you? Here are a few reasons to think about making a live video.
Bring out the human side of your brand to create more of a connection with your customers.
- Capture a larger audience
- Send real-time updates to your followers
- Live videos are first in Stories
IGTV video length and size
In June of 2018, Instagram launched IGTV in an effort to satisfy the demands of users for longer-format videos. IGTV videos are added to your feed or are found on the IGTV section on your homepage.
There is more in terms of lengths for IGTV videos. However, there are still limitations to be aware of.
- The minimum IGTV video duration will be 60 seconds.
- When you upload using a mobile device, the maximum IGTV video duration can be up to 15 minutes. When you upload on a computer, the maximum length is increased to 60 minutes.
- The maximum size for files is 650MB when videos are 10 minutes or less, or 3.6GB for videos that last up to 60 mins.
- The ideal size for IGTV cover images is 420×654.
What is the Instagram video format supported on Instagram?
Instagram supports the format MP4 for video for IGTV posts, posts, and Stories. To go even deeper into the technical, the codecs that Instagram supports include H.264 as well as VP8, while those that support audio codecs include AAC as well as Vorbis.
Top 5 Free Instagram Video Editor Apps for iPhone/Android
1. iMovie (for iOS)
2. The Color Story (for Android and iOS)
3. VideoShow (for Android)
4. KineMaster (for iOS)
5. Adobe Premiere Rush (for Android)
How to increase the quality of your videos on Instagram
If you’re looking to boost the quality of videos you upload to Instagram, Try these suggestions.
- Upload from a high-quality internet connection. Instagram videos can be uploaded with an increased resolution when uploaded on the most reliable WiFi network or the 5G connection of your mobile.
- Make sure you choose the correct aspect ratio for Instagram videos. Upload videos with the aspect ratio 1080x 1920 pixels to be used for Instagram Stories, Reels, and IGTV. However, the aspect ratio of 1080 x 1350p ratio is more suitable for videos that are uploaded to the normal Instagram feed.
- Create videos using the mp4 format. While Instagram is able to accept videos in .mov formats, it will convert the files to .mp4 for playback. Each time a digital file converts to a different format and loses some of its fidelity. If you save the original video in .mp4, it eliminates one step in the process of conversion.
- Update your devices. Sometimes the best method to enhance your videos can be to update your camera equipment. The camera’s sensors, microphones, as well as processing chips are improved every year as companies like Apple, Samsung, and LG strive to beat one another. If it’s been a while since you’ve upgraded your smartphone or your DSLR camera, if this is how you shoot, then perhaps now is the right time to upgrade.
The final thoughts
Presently, around 15 % of Instagram posts are videos. Video is only increasing in popularity on Instagram, so there’s no more appropriate time to begin stepping up your video marketing using the app.