How to Change Twitter Handle on PC or Smartphone in 2023
When you logged into your Twitter account 10 years ago or earlier, you may have thought the username was clever and cute. Now, you’re staring at it, sighing in shame, and wishing you could switch the name. The positive news is that you can. Here’s how you can change your Twitter handle with the possibility of the followers knowing you’ve made the change.
What Is a Twitter Handle?
The Twitter handle or handle, or username is the only ID for your Twitter account. You must also use it when registering for Twitter and when you log in. In addition, it is utilized to send and receive direct messages and mention your account in tweets and comments. Since a Twitter username separates you from the other users and provides an individual identity for each account, no two Twitter usernames are the same. Users can also look up your account using your username.
Your handle may have letters A to Z and numbers from 0-9, but it shouldn’t contain dashes, periods, or spaces. The handle appears following the @ sign at the bottom of your Twitter URL.
How to change twitter handle on your computer
- Go to www.twitter.com
- Log in to the account you have created by entering your email address and password.
- Click on the person icon located at the top of your screen.
- Click “Settings”
- Choose “Name” at the bottom of the page.
- Input a brand alternative name (optional)
How to Change Your Twitter Handle on a smartphone
- In the mobile application, Click on the icon for your profile and then choose “Settings and Privacy.”
- Click “Account.”
- Click “Username.”
- In the section “New,” type your new Twitter handle name. If you require assistance, Twitter provides a list of possible handles.
Choosing the Right Handle
Like a company’s name, the Twitter handle must be concise, distinctive, and easy to remember.
Here are some of the best methods to follow when selecting a Twitter handle:
- Do not use symbols or numbers. Adding these makes your username appear cluttered and difficult for your viewers to discover.
- Utilize the same username for each social media platform.
- Make it brief to stay within the limit of characters. If your company’s name is very long, you might want to consider using the initials.
- Do not use keywords since it could create the impression that your account is used to promote spam. Include keywords in your Twitter bios instead.
What to do if your Twitter handle is already used
If you already have a Twitter account and want to change the username first, the best thing you can do is search for the username you want on Twitter. If it’s there, hit “Update” and immediately use the username!
If the username you’re looking for is unavailable, you’re left with a few alternatives. The first is to try using just numbers or letters for your initial and last name (e.g., @Happy0291). If that doesn’t work for you, use the first letter for each word you want to use in the new name (@HappyB4) or the initial number (@Happy1).
Try different combinations until you come across one that is readily available!
If the account that shares the identical username is an imposter, you’re dealing with a different issue.
Here’s what you should do when an imposter or Trolls are employing your company’s name on Twitter:
- The account should be reported to Twitter. It’s as easy as clicking on the profile of the account and then pressing “Report.”
- In your account, make it clear that it’s a fake username and you’re not associated with it.
- Take a copy or a screenshot of tweets from the imposter’s account to provide evidence of their violation of your company or your name.
- Be aware that these accounts violate Twitter’s terms of service agreements and could be removed in the end.
Get Unlimited Graphic and Video Design Services on RemotePik, book your Free Trial
To keep yourself updated with the latest eCommerce and Amazon news, subscribe to our newsletter at www.cruxfinder.com